Sunday, February 16, 2014

ACL Post Surgery: Days 3-4

I haven't been updating Facebook or the blog or even responding to text messages the last couple days.
Sorry, I have been trapped in the worst days of my life. No joke.
Looking back those first 24 hours after surgery were a cake walk.
After the nerve block wore off my pain levels went up and any movement made me want to scream and cry.
Which I have spent many hours doing
On top of the pain, the pain pills made me EXTREMELY nauseous and spent hours hurling until I had nothing left.
Worst thing was if I tried to just drink enough to take a nausea pill and pain pills I'd just throw it up again.
I'm not one who throws up easily, I think its from growing up with acid reflex your body learns to keep it at bay.
Lowest point of my existence was waking up, not being able to even move in time, and throwing up all over myself, my pillow, blankets, everything.
 Not only that I can't shower or just get up and move.
I was in my own private hell.
Oh and did I mention another fun side effect of the medication: extreme itchiness!!
Could be used to torture someone.
It got so bad that I woke Jeff up in the middle of the night to help. I was going mad from the itchiness.
Jeff had to work that night and my mom was spending the night.
Bless her heart. I don't know what I would have done without her.
I was so sick and she was so worried she spent the night in a chair next to the couch where I was laying.
She can't have slept more than 10 minutes at a time and then she went to work the next morning.
She's over here when she's not at work helping with laundry and taking care of the dogs.
This may have been the worst valentine's day of my life, it was the one that showed the most love.
I don't know what I would have done if Jeff and my mom hadn't been there to help me.
It takes a lot of love for someone to help them the way I have needed help the last couple days.
I can't stand and get to the bathroom without help, or getting dressed, or getting food
Basically anything that isn't within reach of the couch I need help.
Jeff sleeps in that same uncomfortable chair so he can be near me.
He wakes up every couple hours to check on me and make sure I'm on top of my pain pills.
He probably got 5 hours of sleep total from Wednesday to Saturday.
He never complains and if I even shift positions he asks how he can help me.
No doubt he wins the husband of the year award.
On the bright side, things are getting better.
I finally got to wash my hair today, which felt like heaven.
My new pain pills don't make me nauseous and my pain in back under control.
I have a sore throat still from throwing up, but its much better than the alternative.
I finally am getting into a routine and that helps keeping the pain down.
Tomorrow is my first day of physical therapy so fingers crossed that its not a horrific experience.
Thank you for everyone who has been worried about me and calls to check up on me.
I'm sorry I'm not the best at keeping in touch.
I try to sleep as much as I can.
I love you all and appreciate the support more than you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting!