Monday, February 20, 2012

Ice Cubes, Tickle Fights, and Brown Toppers

Many summer days when I was a kid consisted of waking up early to go walk the dogs with my grandpa. He would drive to come pick me up any morning I wanted to go and we would stop at Dick's bakery and get a treat then head up to Muller Park Canyon. We would walk all the dogs and go up through the mountain trails and play along the river. My grandpa walked in the canyon a couple times of day. He loved nature and the peace up there. Not to mention it was the highlight of all the dogs' day. Some of my favorite memories took place in that canyon. 

It was 4 years ago today that my grandpa Jack passed away unexpectedly. He played a huge part in my life and was always there for me. I saw him almost every day growing up. Since my mom worked during the day he would pick me up from school. If I was sick at school, or just pretending to be, he was the one to come get me. He would always have a big smile on his face and would say I think you need some medicine. His medicine was the best a brown topper from Arctic Circle. If you don't know what a brown topper is then you are missing out. Basically, its an ice cream cone dipped in chocolate (or there are also other flavors and colors.)  

Every birthday party or family party when I was a kid we always got into a tickle and ice cube fight. It was always started by someone different but it was also a battle between the cousins and grandpa. Our family would go to Chuck-a-Rama a lot when we were younger, its a good restaurant when you have a lot of rowdy children. He used to start with dessert every time then he'd get a main dish and then dessert. Life is short, start with dessert.  
Awe the Eiffel Tower hair as I call it... 90s hair gotta love it
My grandpa was the most generous person I have ever met. If someone needed help he was there. If you needed some money he would have given you his last dollar. He wasn't a materialistic person and his most treasure possession was his family. I miss him so much and it breaks my heart that he is gone. I wish he would have been there when I got married, but at least Jeff got to meet him. I wish he would have got to met my children so they could have experienced some of the memories I had as a kid. Jeff and I are planning on naming our son after him when that time comes. It is the only name that I have always kept since I was a kid, Jackson.  I know that he watches over me and that I will get to see him again someday. Today I am going to go get a brown topper in his memory and maybe go eat at Chuck-a-Rama for him. 


Love Always,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Commenting!